A Model checks into `Hotel Mumbai' and checks out as an Actor!

Mariette Valsan is a model turned actor, whose latest project is the Hollywood film - Hotel Mumbai - with Armie Hammer and Dev Patel. The tip model transitioned smoothly into acting after appearing on covers of magazines like Femina India and maxim India, modelling for brands like Garnier , GoDaddy.com with Mithun Chakraborty , Old Spice with Milind Soman and even international brands like Chloe and Superbalist.











With a few exciting projects in the pipeline for 2020, her first web show for Mxplayer, directed by Shaad Ali and Ajay Bhuyan set to release soon. She has also signed two more shows, that's expected in early 2020.

She hopes to explore a range of characters and tell interesting stories through her work. 
Share with us your expectations of Hotel Mumbai’s performance in the current context?

How do I describe `Anxious’, the feeling of checking your result on a website or getting an sms about a status.  I am hopeful that the film will do well in India, where the attack actually happened. It's important to tell stories, and I hope that this is one that will resonate with the people. The film has been well received all over the world.

How do you feel after your debut in this film? 

I'm very excited, and to share screen space with Armie Hammer in my first film - it truly is a dream debut. I had been a bit nervous, but also fairly confident because I know that everyone I worked with, be it the cast or crew, have put their heart and soul into delivering the best possible experience to the audience.

Tell me, how did Hotel Mumbai happen?

Initially, we did a couple of scenes and then the Director of the film decided that the character of Nisha, the hotel receptionist who first encounters the terrorist is better suited to me. That's how I landed the role I did in the film! 

What has been the feedback you have received regarding your role, from critics, friends, your near and dear ones?  

Honestly, everyone has been very excited and kind. They've been looking forward to seeing me on screen. It has been well received, along with my performance. 

Three great things you would take learning from this movie? 

1) Working with an international crew was incredible, to see people from different parts of the world come together to create one project. 

2) I got to work with stellar actors like Armie Hammer and Nazanin Boniadi, both of whom were very kind and gracious. 

3) And the most important, always be aware when you're Mike is on  don't gossip on set. 

Roles you expect to do?

While it is important to be selective about your roles, one also needs to have an open mind.  I would love to have roles that allow me to explore more of who I am, gives me enough space to play complex characters. Roles that are well written for women, and also, roles that are completely opposite to my real character.  I'd also absolutely love to do intelligent and sensitive comedy. 

Given a choice to replace someone in a Hollywood and/or Bollwyood movie in a particular role, who would that be, and why?

I would not like to replace anyone - I feel that there is enough space for us all. I just hope that good writing continues to make it to screen.  I'd love to do a lot of the storing female roles that Angelina Jolie played, and even Melissa McCarthy with her comedy roles.

What other avenues are your engaged in?

Apart from working to achieve my dreams in the field of acting and modelling, I am an athlete too, and use my spare time to travel the world, surfing and diving across various countries. Given my natural leaning towards athletics, Puma approached me to be an influencer with the brand. I decided decided to take it one step further, and is working on a project where I get brands and people of affluence and influence to work and contribute to those with lesser opportunities. The first of these was working with the village school Nareshwadi, where she collaborated with Puma India to donate shoes and gear to 350 children of the school. These children are primarily from the Warli tribe. The school trains them not only in the regular board education, but also in sustainable means of living. Read more on www.nareshwadi.org.  

I am currently working on a personal project, exploring my relationship with the traditional garment in India - the sari. Dubbed #MariTheSari, she has spoken to various people about what they do with the sari, and what it means to them.

Give us a brief of the evolution of your career?

I started in modelling and within the first two years, have been on the covers of large magazines as one of India's top models. I've also modelled for brands nationally and internationally..that led me to shoot for TV ads , which made my interest in acting grow. Then I landed my first film - Hotel Mumbai. I have finished shooting for my first web show and have two more in the pipeline. 

What is your educational background and how are you using it in your career today?

I've graduated in English literature from St.Xaviers college, and completed a Diploma in PR & Corporate Communications from XIC. The most important things that these degrees have taught me how to think, question the status quo and really open my mind to different kinds of art. I think it's allowed me to really grow as an empathetic person, to understand different points of view, even if I may not agree with it personally. 

Message for your fans?..

I would say, always explore. Try new things for collecting experiences is the most valuable thing in life. Do not compare your journey to others. Most importantly - laugh. Laugh lots and laugh loud. 




You can check her ads and commercials out on www.youtube.com/mariettetc1
Follow her journey on her Instagram @mariettevalsan

JOHNNY VAZ